Advance Your Career in Education
Enroll in the Master of Arts in Education—Minnesota program at Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota and you’ll learn from top-notch educators who have a wealth of classroom experience to share.
Watch this Webinar
TEACHERS: NEXT STEP FOR YOUR CAREER
Learn more how to achieve your career goals in teaching. This webinar is for you, whether you are looking master's or graduate certificates to enhance your salary, or career training to add another license or go into administration.
Choose Your Specialty
This Saint Mary’s M.A. in Education program is designed for educators who want to advance their careers and build their skills in one of three areas of specialty: curriculum and instruction, mental health, and culturally responsive teaching; or as a master's degree completion option for students in the Graduate Certificate in K-12 Reading program. Successful completion of the program will increase your professional competencies and make you more marketable as you advance your career in education.
While Saint Mary’s M.A. in Education program is intended to provide teachers with in-depth knowledge in a particular area of specialty, all students will be challenged through the core curriculum to do the following:
- Better integrate technology in your classroom to enhance your teaching
- Make practical changes to your classroom instruction to align with current educational theory
Apply modern knowledge in child growth and development to improve your classroom instruction
Curriculum and Instruction Specialization
Through these specially designed courses, you’ll hone your teaching skills to create a more engaging learning environment. Receive guidance on developing curriculum and instruction methods that promote increased achievement while learning to implement corresponding assessments that more accurately monitor student performance.
In addition to the intentional focus this area of specialty places on curriculum and instruction, you will also learn techniques to further develop your communication skills to improve collaboration, resolve conflicts, and make it easier to connect with multiple stakeholders.
Culturally Responsive Teaching Specialization
Through these specially designed courses, you’ll develop skills to improve students’ classroom experiences inclusive of all cultural backgrounds. Throughout your learning, you’ll be encouraged to consider multiple racial and cultural perspectives as you develop a culturally responsive teaching approach.
Mental Health Specialization
Through these specially designed courses you'll develop skills to examine social and emotional development, and how mental health concerns present throughout the developmental stages of students. This is a mental health focus for educators, school building or district staff, classroom teachers, or those impacting students' learning. Courses provide those on the front lines the tools to recognize how and when to refer to mental health professionals for services or community resources. This program does not lead to professional certification in a mental health field, such as School Counselor, School Psychologist, or Child Psychologist.
Upon completion of the M.A. in Education program, graduates are expected to be able to do the following:
- Apply knowledge of child growth and development to plan an engaging learning environment
- Design and differentiate curriculum, instruction, and assessment to meet diverse learner needs
- Communicate and collaborate effectively and respectfully in a variety of modes in a range of situations
- Design effective classroom management strategies based on subject matter, relevant student information, and expectations of the school community
- Design effective assessments and analyze assessment data to monitor learning and increase achievement
- Evaluate studies and design research to evaluate educational practice
- Develop understanding of ethics and laws that apply to educational decision-making
- Access current information to develop skills of critical and creative thinking, self-evaluation, and resilience to keep pace with a changing educational world
- Apply knowledge of subject matter and standards to align curriculum, instruction, and assessment
- Integrate the ethical and professional implications regarding the use of technology in the classroom as it aligns with equity in the classroom for all students
From Start to Finish
- You can earn your M.A. in Education degree in two years.
- A cohort model allows for a small team of students to collaborate in convenient locations across the state. Additional online instruction and activities supplement these face-to-face interactions. Cohorts are offered each semester throughout the state. Contact us to talk through location options in your area.
Current students, alumni, and instructors of our M.A. in Education program talk about how well the classes fit into students' lives, the cohort structure, and the value of their Saint Mary's experiences.