Individual credits and completion times vary
- Participate in the ISTEP project at Saint Mary’s to become an impactful STEM teacher, inspiring young minds while receiving financial support, training, and mentoring. Learn more.
- Choose from a range of teaching license areas and specialties, including elementary education, secondary education, and specialty subject areas. We provide the flexibility for you to focus on your specific interests and passions.
- Gain invaluable hands-on experience through 100 field experience hours and student teaching. We believe in the importance of practical application and provide opportunities for you to develop your teaching skills in real educational settings.
- Join a community of learners at a university with a strong reputation for excellence in education. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota has a long-standing tradition of preparing teachers who make a difference in the lives of their students.
What You'll Learn
- Learning experiences that are meaningful for students
- Learning opportunities that support a student’s personal development
- Instructional opportunities for students with diverse backgrounds
- Student development through instructional strategies
- Active inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction in the classroom
- Evaluate, synthesize, and disseminate research related to educational practice
Virtual Information Session
Ready to apply? Learn about taking the next steps.
- Applicants may apply for admission to a master’s degree program at any time during the year.
- Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and maintained an overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale.
- Applicants must demonstrate the language proficiency necessary for successful graduate coursework.
- Applicants must complete an interview with a program director.
Students with transcripts from universities outside the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada (except for the Quebec Province) must take and pass English proficiency testing.
Saint Mary’s accepts:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 72
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.0
- Michigan Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a minimum score of 74%
- International Test of English Proficiency (ITEP) with a minimum score of 4.0 or Pearson Test of English with a score of 51
- Duolingo with a minimum score of 100.
Your application must include the following items:
- A completed application form
- An official transcript(s) issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution.
- An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution.
- Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated on a course by course basis by a university accepted evaluation service, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards.
- Evaluations from an approved member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES.org) will also be accepted.
- A personal statement that includes the following:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience; and
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and their reasons for seeking admission to the program; and
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be their strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities; and
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Two letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability.
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
Official Transcripts should be sent to Office of Admission
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
2500 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Or electronically: email@example.com
Please reach out with any questions about the application process.
Phone: (612) 728-5100
Toll-free: (866) 437-2788
Aug. 4, 2023
Aug. 28, 2023
You can expect to be notified about your acceptance approximately two weeks following your application completion date.
Tuition & Fees
We help you find ways to finance your education.Talk to your Enrollment Counselor about scholarships, loans, and other ways to make your education affordable.
In addition to foundational courses, you’ll engage in field experience and student teaching. The course catalog provides complete information about course requirements.
Hear their stories. Create your own.
The most beneficial thing for your students — and for you — is to learn how to develop meaningful relationships with them.
Learn how our program fits your life, offers specializations to enhance your career, and inspires you to become the teacher you’ve always wanted to be.
A surge in student enrollment over the next several years is creating an urgent need for licensed teachers in preschool, elementary and secondary schools nationwide. Careers are projected to grow 10% from 2020 to 2030 with about 920,500 new job openings.1
Elementary Teacher$61,350 per year*
Instructional Designer$63,740 per year*
High School Teacher$61,820 per year*
Discover the power to empower with Saint Mary’s advanced degree programs in education.
Frequently Asked Questions
At Saint Mary’s, we want you to succeed, and we help you do so, inside and outside of the classroom:
Student Central: Your one stop for student services.
Library: Resources and services are available 24/7 to all students.
Writing Center: Offers virtual and face-to-face services to support students.
Career Services: Can help you develop your career-readiness skills at any point in your education
Tuition for the 2023-24 school year is $545 per credit. There will be minimal additional program fees.
Yes, there is the ISTEP program as well as other federal and state programs.
Courses meet in a remote format (synchronously, virtually) during weekday evenings.
Student teaching is a semester-long, full-time experience in a K-12 school under the guidance of a supervisor from Saint Mary’s and a cooperating teacher licensed by the State of Minnesota.
All candidates seeking an initial license are required to demonstrate basic skills competency and pass Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations that assess pedagogical and content-area knowledge.
News and Information from the School of Education
Sources and Disclaimer
- O*NET Online, Minnesota Wages, Education Administrators, Kindergarten through Secondary at https://www.onetonline.org/link/localwages/11-9032.00?st=MN (Visited March 10, 2022).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm#:~:text=Median%20wage%20data%20are%20from,for%20all%20workers%20was%20%2445%2C760. (Visited May 10, 2023).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Instructional Coordinators at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm (Visited May 10, 2023).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, High School Teachers at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm (Visited May 10, 2023).