FAQs: Student financial issues - Saint Mary's University of Minnesota Skip to Main Content
Go Back

FAQs: Student financial issues

April 27, 2020

News SGPP Student Information

The spring 2020 academic semester has experienced an appreciable and unforeseen disruption because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Information about financial aid programs is more important than ever for students. Adult learners, especially, are often unaware of financial aid programs available to them.

Saint Mary’s financial aid programs can help most students manage education expenses, though these programs will not provide a direct replacement for employer-based programs.

I am a graduate student at Saint Mary’s. Is financial aid available for me?

Yes. Any student interested in financial aid should apply with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at studentaid.gov (Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Federal School Code: 002380).

My employer canceled its tuition reimbursement program. What can Saint Mary’s do to help?

Contact Saint Mary’s Student Central Office for directions on aid programs, bill deferments, financial aid applications, and other information. Email is the best way to contact Student Central at this time at studentcentral@smumn.edu. The office can also be reached at 612-238-4566 or 866-437-2788.

You should contact your employer’s human resources office for exact details about tuition reimbursement. We are seeing many different situations, including employers discontinuing such programs completely and reducing reimbursement amounts. Only your employer can answer specific questions about your specific program.

I am registered for the summer term at Saint Mary’s. Can I still get financial aid for summer?

Yes. You can apply for aid at any time. It’s best if you apply before summer semester begins, though the federal deadline for summer semester is June 30.

It is also important to note for summer term, you must complete the FAFSA for the 2019-20 academic year. For fall semester 2020, you must complete the FAFSA for the 2020-21 academic year. The FAFSA is available online at studentaid.gov (Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota Federal School Code: 002380).

If you have any questions about the process and aid programs, contact Student Central at studentcentral@smumn.edu.

Additional resources: