Excel in Health and Human Services Administration
Build the core competencies needed to succeed in your health and human services administration career at Saint Mary’s. Our online program spans multiple facets of this field, including health informatics, finance, human resources, and health policy. You’ll complete the courses in an online format that fits the needs of busy professionals, and the program culminates with a capstone course that provides the opportunity to study a health administration topic in depth.
- Gain Leadership Skills to Help you Advance Your Organization and Your Career
- Complete the Program in Two Years or Less
- Asynchronous Courses Allow you to Participate in the Course When it is Convenient for you
- Learn from and Network with Professionals in the Field
- Healthcare Administration Certificate Offered
Learn more about the courses you’ll take while completing Saint Mary’s online M.A. in Health and Human Services Administration program. The degree program consists of courses totaling 36 credit hours, which you can complete in about 24 months if enrolled continuously, or less if your schedule allows.
Stackable Graduate Certificates
Share Your Success
Saint Mary’s supports your success by providing you with the tools necessary to not only achieve your professional goals but to share them with the world—especially the digital world.
As part of our commitment, Saint Mary’s offers an opportunity for you to be awarded digital badges. Digital badges are a graphic verification representing your achievement after completing a specific online course or program.
Applying for an online M.A. in health and human services is just the beginning. You are on your way to a career of helping others create even better lives for themselves. Our admission requirements allow us to gain insight into your unique abilities, strengths, experience, and future career goals. We take every part of your application into consideration when reviewing your admission.
Below, you’ll find all the details for Saint Mary’s master’s in health and human services requirements. Once you review the admission steps, you’ll be ready to pursue the next chapter in your future.
Saint Mary’s online Master of Arts in Health and Human Services Administration program requires the following:
- An undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale (If your overall GPA is below 2.75, you may receive provisional status in the program at the discretion of the program director.)
- The language proficiency to succeed in graduate-level classes
No prerequisite coursework is required for the online MAHHSA.
GMAT and GRE scores are not required for application.
You can transfer a maximum of six credits you’ve earned before admittance to Saint Mary’s.
Transfer credits are subject to graduate school and program criteria, as well as the recommendation of the program director and approval by the dean.
Work experience is not accepted as credit for this program.
Students with transcripts from universities outside the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada (except for the Quebec Province) must take and pass English proficiency testing.
Saint Mary’s accepts the:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 72
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6.0
- Michigan Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a minimum score of 74%
- International Test of English Proficiency (ITEP) with a minimum score of 4.0 or Pearson Test of English with a score of 51
- Duolingo with a minimum score of 100
Whether you apply through our online application, via hard copy, or in-person with a Saint Mary’s admissions counselor, your application must include the following items:
- $25 non-refundable application fee: Note that Saint Mary’s alumni, students seeking readmission, veterans, and active military personnel are exempt from this application fee
- Official transcripts: An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits must be sent separately and directly from your institution. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota accepts official transcripts electronically from previously attended institutions. Transcripts should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to
Transcript Processing Center
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
851 Trafalgar Court, Suite 420
Maitland, FL 32751
- An up-to-date résumé: Include both your educational and professional experience
- Two letters of reference or recommendation: Two letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability
- A written statement: Describe your personal background, training, career goals, and experience. Tell us why you’re seeking admission to the MAHHSA, what your personal and professional strengths are, and any other personal information you wish to share
Upcoming application deadlines for Saint Mary’s online MAHHSA:
- Spring: December 18, 2023
- Fall: August 20, 2024
Upcoming start dates for Saint Mary’s online MAHHSA:
- Spring: January 8, 2024
- Fall: September 3, 2024
You can expect to be notified about your acceptance approximately two weeks following your application submission date.
Tuition & Fees
A college education is invaluable. You can take it wherever you want to go or as far as you want to go. The cost of quality education should not get in the way of reaching your goals. Here at Saint Mary’s, we are committed to providing a quality education that is accessible and affordable.
Explore cost breakdowns for tuition and other fees of the Online Master’s in Health and Human Services Administration.
Careers & Salary
The online master's degree in health and human services administration equips you with leadership skills and allows you to learn the intricacies of health services operations. You can apply your expertise in various settings, such as home health agencies, hospice organizations, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and more. Some of the roles that are possible with this degree are listed below. Note that this program is not intended or designed to meet educational requirements for long-term care or nursing home administrator licensure in any jurisdiction.
Medical and Health Services Manager$104,8301
Social and Community Service Manager$74,24033
“[The faculty] were personable even though the class was online. They provided excellent information on the topics through their own experiences. The feedback was incredibly detailed and helpful.” – Caroline David, 2022 MA in Health & Human Services Administration Graduate
What You'll Learn
As a graduate of this program, you will be able to:
- Develop the leadership and management skills to promote quality and sustainability in a variety of healthcare and human services settings
- Understand effective human resource management to maximize performance and ensure quality care
- Learn regulations and policies and their impact on quality
- Master financial management to keep your health and human services organization successful amid rapid change
Frequently Asked Questions
I want to become an administrator or senior manager at my organization. Is this the right degree program for me?
The online MAHHSA gives you the leadership and managerial skills to pursue top-level positions in healthcare and human services settings, including: home health agencies, behavioral health institutions, single and multi-centered hospitals, hospitals, clinics, governmental health and human service agencies, non-profit agencies, and clinics.
Will my degree say that it is from an online program?
No. The degree you earn online from Saint Mary's University is identical to the degree offered on campus.
How long does the program take?
To earn your online master's degree, you will complete 36 credit hours of program work. If you stay on the recommended course schedule of two online classes per consecutive semester, you can complete your health and human services coursework in about two years or less if your schedule allows.
Is there a campus residency requirement, or is the program entirely online?
The program is fully online. You do not need to attend Saint Mary's on-ground campuses.
Is this a self-paced program?
No, these are instructor-led courses. While there are no set class times, there are assignments with set due dates.
What type of support is available to me? What if I have a question about homework or need help with a technical issue?
All of the support systems available to on-campus students at Saint Mary's University are available for online learners as well. If you need academic support, a team of advisers is ready to assist. Professors are just a phone call or email away, and every online Saint Mary's University student is paired with a dedicated student services coordinator who will make sure your educational and professional goals stay on track. Technical support is also available to online students 24/7 at 877-308-9954 ext. 3.
Is this program accredited?
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Are there set times when I can start the program?
You may apply for admission to Saint Mary's online Master of Arts in Health and Human Services Administration program at any time. After you are admitted, you may begin taking online classes at the start of spring or fall semester.
Can I transfer credits from another university and graduate program?
You may transfer a maximum of six semester credits earned before admittance upon recommendation of the program director and with the approval of the dean. Your transfer credits are subject to both graduate school and programmatic criteria.
Will I be required to attend online classes during set times?
No. As long as you submit your assignments by the time they are due, you can work and study when it is most convenient to you.
What are the admissions requirements?
All the information about eligibility and admissions requirements can be found on the admissions page.
Is financial aid available?
It's easy! Your journey to a more rewarding career starts by calling 877-308-9954 to speak with an enrollment counselor. Or, you can request more information and we'll reach out to you. If you already know Saint Mary's University of Minnesota is the right place to earn your online Master of Arts in Health and Human Services Administration degree, go ahead and begin the online application process.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Medical and Health Services Managers.” Retrieved September 6, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm.
- Payscale, “Average Hospice Administrator Salary.” Retrieved September 6, 2023, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Hospice_Administrator/Salary.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, “Social and Community Service Managers.” Retrieved September 6, 2023, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/social-and-community-service-managers.htm.