Graduate Certificate in Culturally Responsive Teaching
When students’ cultures and prior experiences are integrated with classroom instruction, new information becomes relevant and meaningful.
The Culturally Responsive Teaching program at Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota provides educators with foundational theory and research, as well as proven, practical strategies to enhance instruction for all learners. Intentional work on awareness, sensitivity, and professional disposition are embedded throughout the program.
Curriculum is delivered in a flexible, online cohort model. This allows students from a wide range of geographical areas and backgrounds to come together, collaborate and learn from and with one another.
Hear from current students and instructors about the value of the Culturally Responsive Teaching Certificate from Saint Mary's.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are expected to be able to do the following:
- Evaluate beliefs that shape, inform, and guide their perspectives and practices
- Understand and value students’ cultural and educational experiences to inform teaching and learning
- Integrate the principles of culturally responsive teaching to create an inclusive, safe learning environment
- Embed the principles of culturally responsive teaching into instructional and assessment plans
- Identify and evaluate rich, relevant resources to support student learning
Continue With the M.A. in Education
Those wishing to complete the M.A. in Education degree may do so with an additional 18 credits. Courses for degree completion address topics such as educational theory and research, assessment, ethics, and child development. The culminating activity is an action research project where you will implement practical educational strategies that ensure the success of all learners.