The pace of change in today’s world continues to accelerate, making it vitally important that learners are taught by those who have the tools, techniques, and approaches relevant for this environment.
Saint Mary’s School of Education meets that challenge by modeling the Lasallian mission and training future educators who empower learners, encouraging them to ethical lives of service and leadership. Skilled faculty help guide students to become educators who create a challenging and positive learning environment for all learners—educators who respect the potential, capabilities, and needs of every student.
Preparing Teachers for Licensure
The School of Education prepares teachers for licensure in the following certification areas: elementary education and secondary education. All programs meet the licensure requirements of the State of Minnesota.
Goals for Our Students
- Have the ability to perform at a highly qualified level of teaching as defined by the Professional Educators Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) standards
- Display the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to effectively teach and lead a diverse population of students and work with parents, colleagues, administrators, and community members in support of a child’s or young adult’s education
- Demonstrate a commitment to and understanding of teaching in the spirit of the Lasallian mission
- Hold a strong foundation in disciplinary knowledge and content
Saint Mary's Education Majors
- Participate in small classes that stress active learning and focus on individual student needs
- Complete field experiences with practicing teachers every semester beginning in the sophomore year
- Receive instruction and mentoring from veteran instructors who have years of experience in teaching and current teachers in the field